You know how I keep talking up the Cravings cookbook? It's because everything I have tried is seriously sooooo good. The spicy Italian sausage meatloaf, the chicken lettuce wraps and the vegetable tortilla stew. I am slowly making my way through the cookbook and I have nothing but good things to say about it....so far.
I want to share the Vegetable Tortilla Stew with you all. Don't worry. I am giving all the credit to Chrissy. It is just too good not to share. Plus if you like this, you would love the whole cookbook.
I will mention that I did not make the tortilla strips. Her recipe calls for it, but I just didn't have the time nor did I want a pan of oil frying near children. I bought Fresh Gourmet Tortilla Strips Lightly Salted instead and they were very tasty.
VEGETABLE TORTILLA STEW
from Cravings Cookbook by Chrissy Teigen
Serves 6 to 8
2 TBL vegetable oil
1 large onion, diced
1 large green bell pepper, diced
1 large jalapeno, finely diced including the seeds
2 TBL minced garlic
2 TBL chili powder
1 TBL ground cumin
1/2 TSP cayenne pepper
salt and pepper
4 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 15 oz cans petite diced tomatoes
2 15 oz cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup cooked rice
Optional: avocado, cheddar or cotija cheese and tortilla strips
1. In a stock/soup pot, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add in the onions, bell pepper and jalapeno and cook for about 10 minutes. You want the onions to become translucent.
2. Add chili powder, cumin, cayenne, 2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper and garlic. Cook for about two minutes until it becomes fragrant.
3. Add in your petite diced tomatoes, black beans and chicken broth. Stir and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce your heat to a low simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Add in your cooked rice and simmer for another 15 minutes.
6. Serve and add your avocado, cheese and tortilla strips. Enjoy!
It's healthy-ish (minus the cheese) and so flavorful.