Since I last updated you about our kitchen remodel (here), we had our tile floors put in, new counter tops, a massive hole in the wall for our range ventilation system, some electrical work done and progress on our old oven area.
This remodel has amazing and sucky all at once. So many decisions, so many changes and so much work. Yes, we have had more painting projects since the whitewashing the brick wall.
I feel like everyday we come home, something new has happened or been changed. I can't wait for it to be done and I can cook again. Oh how I long to use a kitchen sink again. Ha.
Let's start with the floors. If you remember, this is how they looked before we started.
Laminate floors aka the worst
This is how they looked once they ripped the old stuff out.
And here is what they look like now.
Emser Explorer Series Paris Floor Tile
I am soooo in love with these floors. It may have taken 5,000 trips to different tile stores, but I am so glad I held out for these tiles.
Now let's move onto my new counter tops. I had a boring, not modern counter top before and after watching way too much HGTV, I decided I HAD to have quartz counter tops. I did a bunch of research on them and knew it was the best for our family.
This is after the counter tops were taken off and plywood took its place.
We had our counter tops installed and it turns out they are the wrong ones. The ones you see above are a Calcatta Classique Quartz and the ones I ordered are a Cashmere Carrerra Quartz. When these were installed, I thought something was wrong, but I was sick and just let it go. Now that I am more aware and did my research, I see that they are completely different. We notified our contractor and are waiting to hear back about a solution. While these are not bad, they are not what I ordered. And the veins are huge. I wanted something more subtle. These babies cost a pretty penny, so I want what I ordered.
As you can see, we had a single sink added in as well. But we don't have our water, faucet or garbage disposal hooked up yet.
Another project that is going on is the addition of a range hood. Prior to renovating our kitchen, we had a cook top with a down draft ventilation system. We searched for a down draft range, but none of them had good reviews and we were disappointed in the selection (ie basically none). So we decided to spend the extra money to have a range hood put in. This meant cutting into the wall, creating a new exhaust system down to the old one and rerouting the old one so they matched up.
It seemed easy enough until they cut a hole in the wall and took the hood out of the box. There was no way the hood was going to fit in the spot because it would sit too low and stick out way too far.
See how there is not much room between the "counter tops" and the top of the cabinet.
This is what our Friday meeting was mainly about. In the end, we decided to raise one cabinet up to accommodate the hood since it was only 22 inches from the hood to the range and it needs to be at least 24 inches. We raised it up way more than that since we are tall people and want it to look aesthetically pleasing.
This also means that now we have to have crown modeling (ugh) and I have to search for a color that I want and a style. Not fun when you are not the biggest fan of crown modeling on cabinets.
This is what the range area looked like Sunday evening.
The cabinet has been raised and once the cabinets are refinished, the new crown modeling is on, and the hood area is complete, it should look really nice. Fingers crossed.
So as you can see, we are still knee deep in our renovations. Also if you notice in the last picture, we still have no door that leads into the garage. I can't wait for that to be put back on.
We did do the painting project this weekend and I can't wait to show you those results, but I am going to wait until the area is a little more finished.
Stay tuned for the next update and let's hope we are done soon.